Sunday, November 13, 2016

Autumn Woodland

Some days are just made for walking in the woods kicking leaves and black walnuts in the path. 

Yesterday was one of those days. 

The pond through the Japanese Maple and various shrubbery.
I got down to the workshop before my sister was ready so I wandered down to the pond.
Burning Bush
 And then beyond.
One of three pawpaws is going strong.  Need to replace the others.
It's hunting season and I was alone in clogs, so I didn't go deep and I didn't cross the creek, where all the cool shrooms and weird plants are.

The yellowish green is some vaguely confused Solomon's Seal
 This time of year you have to watch out for men with guns, deer charging, OR walnuts falling on your head from a height of 40 feet or more. 

What a canopy!
It's a jungle out there.

The sky, the tree bones, the brilliant leaves...
But the leaves are ready for the cold weather.
Glossy wild ginger nestles in for the winter.
 Everything is preparing for winter.

It's crisp and crunchy and the melancholy solitude felt good in the way it feels good to have sore muscles after a hard day in the garden.

American Redbud
It's been a rough week.  In two days, we start the next issue, and begin that cycle.  I'm looking forward to that.
Older, less confused Solomon's Seal

Then we wound up with the spectacular moon.

 Isn't she a beauty?

No comments: