Monday, August 01, 2016

Molly's Latest Obsessions



So like everyone else I get a little “stuck” on certain herbs and certain herbal products from time to time. I wanted to share a few of my current favorites with you because, well, it’s fun and I’m hoping you all can help me find new favorites, too!

Ginger Tea

I swear this stuff has saved me from the brink of death about a million times. When I was younger I absolutely hated ginger tea. No matter how nauseous, feverish, or just plain sick I was I would always shy away when Mom begged me to drink a cup. I wasn’t a fan of the intensity and I was even less of a fan of the taste. It isn’t that I hate ginger, I just hate it when it is nothing but ginger. Then I began mixing it with hibiscus flowers and fruit and I was in love. Now I drink it over my period to stay hydrated and any time I’m feeling not quite right. I always have little packets with me but I really love to make it with just the root and some hibiscus flowers or lime slices for taste. I find that’s the perfect combo of zip and sweet. It tastes great hot or iced!

Homemade Febreeze

In college Frebreeze is a dorm-dweller’s best friend. I remember walking through the halls and literally being able to tell the difference in scents. In many college dorms you’re not allowed to have open flames or incense. So Febreeze was the best way to escape from the toxic fumes of the down the hall or your roommate’s socks. Luckily I had my aunt and Mom’s room spritz so I was able to keep the odors at bay without all the chemicals. Now that I live on my own I also get to experiment with scents. I began using lemon and lavender essential oil in a spritz and I think it may be my favorite yet. It is fresh, crisp, and I don’t end up depleting my aunt’s spritzes stock completely!

Lemon and Lavender Spritz

¼ C vodka
½ C distilled water
5-10 drops lemon essential oil
5-10 drops lavender essential oil

Orange Peel Vinegar

So I think I’ve talked about this stuff before in an earlier blog post. It is a really simple all-purpose cleaner and I absolutely love it. Lately I have actually been spraying it in my hair in the shower. And it is hands down the best conditioner I’ve ever had. It leaves my hair feeling clean and tangle free without weighing it down or filling it with all sorts of heaven-knows-what. I even get to use bar soap without my hair getting gunked up! I’ve also use it to clean the shower while I shower so it’s really a win-win all around.

Orange Peel Vinegar

1 part orange peel
3 parts white distilled vinegar


This stuff is crazy. I use it now once every two weeks on my face to exfoliate and moisturize. I think my Mom’s genius comes from her spontaneity. I remember coming into work one morning and Mom was already busy making some sort of something in the kitchen. It was bright purple, smelled amazing, and looked delicious. While I don’t suggest eating it our sugar scrub is wonderful on the face and I use it before we go to the beach on my bikini lines. It helps keep everything soft, smooth, and happy.


So there you have it. What are your current favorites? I could use some new obsessions!

1 comment:

IrisWeaver said...

I love using my vinegar-rose water toner on my face every morning, which is made with elderberry wine vinegar (somehow it went straight to vinegar without being wine). I use 1 part vinegar to 6 parts rose water. I got the recipe from a book by Emily Tolley.