Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Sick Day for An Herbie

-->


So yesterday I came down with a terrible cough and sore throat coupled with what seemed to be a never-ending achy feeling. I was able to get through part of my day before collapsing on the couch for what felt like ten minute but was closer to four hours.

Luckily, I have a wonderful mother who has plenty of herbal know-how to get me through these not-so-fun days off and it reminds me that herbs are truly miraculous.

First thing mom did was generously share her clementines with me. Usually I do not have massive craving for these little orange orbs but after sleeping for hours and needing some sort of sustenance, these vitamin C packed fruits were perfect.

After I demolished her clementine reserves (sorry, Mom!) she made me some wonderful chicken noodle soup with buttery crackers. It was perfect after a day of raw weather, funky sleeping patterns, and (of course) forgetting to eat because I wanted to sleep.

Finally my mom made me a delicious licorice tea mixed with elderberry wine, fire cider, lemon, and ginger. It was amazing and was perfect for warming up and settling in for a nice sleep. So nice I only got through a cup and a half before I passed out.

If you are anything like me, it is really difficult to maintain momentum and focus when you are sick. Most of the time I will pick sleeping over almost anything in hopes that I will magically wake up well. Luckily my mother is able to keep her head on straight and make sure I have plenty of elderberry and ginger in my system so I feel better sooner.

No comments: