Friday, November 27, 2015

Mors Please! My Cranberry Mors Experiment

-->
By Molly Sams



On the commune yesterday we were able to come together for an absolutely wonderful and peaceful Thanksgiving. There was stuffing, mashed potatoes, and of course (for the vegetarians) some of the best stuffed shells this world has ever seen. My mother and my aunt are the ones who have been creating the dishes for the feast since the dawn of my time (and well before that). They have always crafted delicious and simple recipes that are just perfect for our family.

This year I decided to try a new addition to the feast by bringing an all-natural nonalcoholic drink I found in Wild Drinks by Emily Han. While reading through the book I fell in love with one recipe in particular. Cranberry Mors is a bright red import from Russia, tart and refreshing hot or cold. Easy to make and incredibly tasty.

First you have to clean the cranberries and boil them until they crack, then mash them, and finally add honey and lemon to the mix. Wait until room temperature, strain, and chill. It only took me about a half hour to make two batches and I even added a little ginger to it for some extra zing.

Now I was aware that it would not be wildly popular before presenting it. My family is mostly a water and coffee drinking family and my cousin was sufficiently unimpressed when I said it did not contain booze. But some of us drank it and enjoyed it, and I was happy I got to bring something different to the table. I am not as experienced or as knowledgeable as my mother and aunt in the kitchen but I am lucky enough to have a supportive family that will always encourage me to try new and wild. Just one more thing to be thankful for.

No comments: