Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The beginning and the end...

Sometimes, much to the chagrin of the next generation here on the hill, I'm unable to restrain myself from getting mushy.  We had a graduation over the weekend, and I'm stuck on a long, long walk down memory lane.  My nephew might be miffed with this post, but the two of them have always been more like brother and sister, so no post about watching my daughter grow up could ever be complete without him.  We're so proud of them both.
He was the only one who could stop her tears sometimes, and would go to great lengths.

It is hard not to think about how it was to be in this place, with the siblings, as we walked into our grown up lives filled with  expectations, our arms and hearts wide open.  How quickly we went from our graduations to middle age and beyond!
Falling in ponds, driving 4-wheelers into trees, sharing a cloak...

Watching our kids get on with things is bittersweet.  They took forever to get here in the first place, and now most of our work is done.  My sister's son has moved on to a large city in the Northeast, working at a dream job with a brilliant career ahead of him.  My daughter finished school with a pretty great job in her field waiting for her.  Who knows what either of them might accomplish with their lives?  I am excited to watch them blossom.  My sister always reminded me that our job was to give them both roots AND wings, and it looks like we did that.
Molly's high school graduation with friends.

At her commencement last week, one of the speakers talked about the word "commence".  It struck me how it all depends on how one looks at it.  For so many years my one firm goal was to see that she got through school and had as many opportunities as I could possibly provide, so it felt like an ending.  But it isn't.  It is the beginning. 
Finally college.  Through thick and thin.
Fly, my sweet little bird - but don't forget your roots.

2 comments:

Maryanne said...

I kinda think this is my favorite of all your blog posts!

Rosemary said...

What a beautiful tribute!