Friday, September 04, 2009

Milestones can be heavy...

To begin with, this is the 500th post on the blog. I've been mulling it over and thinking about it - and you'll notice that I haven't written for a long time! Somehow it felt that it should be monumental or important. Let's just say that we could wait forever for that to happen - OR - we could say that happens every day. Depends on the outlook.
The other milestone was the littlest herbie going off to college. She didn't go far, but it is very different here. Before she was born, I loved to feel her moving around, safe and warm. It was a feeling that all was right with the world. After she was born, I missed that feeling.
The other day I woke up and stayed a while, thinking against the pillow, realizing that each morning for the last 18 years my first thought upon waking has been about Molly, being conscious of where she was, whether she was awake, what we had to accomplish that day. Having her live somewhere else is a little disconcerting. I will probably get used to it. I may even come to like it. We'll see.
There. I did it.
Now we can move on and not fret until the 1000th post.
In the meantime, download this free issue of TEH and share it with your friends.
Happy Labor Day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The feeling you described about having your baby safe and warm inside of you is exactly how I felt when I was pregnant. You will adjust to having your daughter away, but the longing to keep her safely under your wing will never go away. One of my babies has been living in England for five years. If that wasn't bad enough, he's about to embark on a new long-term adventure in Indonesia. It was a hard lesson to learn, but I've now been able to embrace the lives they've chosen for themselves though not what I would have chosen for them - to settle right next door to me. LOL I hope you are able to gracefully acclimate yourself to this life-changing event.

Mary said...

I read your blog often, but I do not comment often enough.

I hope the emptiness that you are feeling smooths itself down quickly.

My boys are grown with families of their own. They have edged into my thoughts a lot recently.

Being a mother, always a mother, with slightly different floorplans for our footing as time passes.