Saturday, June 13, 2009

Chickweed and Garlic Scape Pesto

I'm not sure where, but lately there have been mentions of garlic scapes in the periphery, and it has snagged my attention.
They have shown up at market, and because my sister and I do a 2-page newsletter for the market every other week, that meant looking into recipes for scapes.
As it turns out, we have a wild foods talk and demonstration on Monday, and the plan is to pre-make most of the chickweed pesto, and then demonstrate how to make a smaller amount. Today was the day.
Steve and Mary Prescott from Prescott's Patch had a mess of scapes today, and we did a swap at the end of the day.
The chickweed pesto is finished, and it is so delicious that I will make more tomorrow to freeze. I am officially in love with garlic scapes.
Here's how we did it:

I gathered a huge basket of chickweed and a few leaves of basil and thyme.


First, I processed 6 scapes, about 1/4 cup of walnuts, and 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese with enough olive oil to work easily.
When that was fairly smooth, I added about a cup or so of chickweed, adding a second cup when that was incorporated. It was much easier to chop the chickweed and the scapes into manageable pieces before putting them into the processor.
After it was well blended, I added a little more oil and processed until it looked like the picture at the top.


It is scrumptious!!!

3 comments:

Rosemary said...

Wishing your photos were a)scratch & sniff and b)scratch & taste! Looks great.
Nancy
BTW~I think baby praying mantis are indeed the cutest little things!

nancy bauer said...

Sounds and looks yummy Tina - Hey, you have my plates!!!!!

Nancy Bauer

tansy said...

i just harvested my scapes yesterday and was thinking to myself 'now what am i going to make with these?!'

thanks!

kristine brown