Tuesday, March 11, 2008

When it rains, it pours!

We've had an invigorating week so far up here on the hill!
I guess it started around Friday. Weeks don't actually run Monday through Sunday here. More like they start when things get revved up, and end when we collapse, exhausted, with everything sent, boxed, deposited, and cleaned up.
Soap orders have been rolling in. It seems like spring took everyone by surprise this year, and they all woke up one day and said, "I need soap!"
Then somebody... maybe Mary Ellen... mentioned our first book about our herbal adventures on the Yahoo list, and a bunch of people decided they needed a copy (YAY!).
In the meantime, the usual stuff was coming in, and of course we are working on the next big project. I think I've hinted around about it, but it will be going to the printer's by the end of month, so the compilation of the spring and summer issues of the first five years (how's THAT for a working title?) will be out mid-April. I couldn't be more excited about this book. It's been a while since I really looked over and read some of that stuff, and there is a goldmine of information there. Most of the issues are sold out, and so this seems like a good time to get it out there. The fall/winter edition will be another year away.
And the next issue has a deadline in a few days. Yesterday we went up to interview Susanna and Nancy Reppert at The Rosemary House. Their 40th anniversary in business is coming up in another month or so. I've known Susanna almost as long as I've been playing with herbs, and for some reason, sitting there talking to her yesterday made me realize that she is one of the most knowledgeable herbalists around. You'd think I would have already known that, but sometimes our vision of our friends is clouded by that very friendship. Nancy's amazing abilities were also brought to the forefront, as I had thoughtlessly (or was it a cagey attempt at something more like gluttony?) scheduled the interview for noon. She whipped together a stunning feast for the senses that we enjoyed while we talked. Those Reppert girls are both brilliant at what they do, and they are both incredibly modest about it in the midst of the razz-ma-tazz herb gurus who read a book or two and proclaim themselves experts. I came away from the interview with a new-found respect for both of my friends.
Whoo. I'm tired just writing it all down!

No comments: