Sunday, March 25, 2007

Signs of Spring around here

First, are these new shoes we found at a little shop in Lititz. They are called "Funky Feet" and come in a variety of designs. These are a little too lively for me, and I wish I'd opted for something a bit more subdued. At only $20, these will probably go to Molly and I'll go back for something quieter. Don't get me wrong, I adore them. But at 51, they seem to mock me.

Next up, the creamy yellow crocuses outside the front door. The color is soft and gentle. It's kind of unusual, since generally the yellow crocuses are more riotous and golden. These are more buttery.
They've been buried under the snow twice since the first bloom, but don't seem any worse for wear.
I was wandering around earlier and noticed that some daylilies and hydrangeas need to be transplated.
The elderberry that was stomped into oblivion over the Christmas tree season seems to be making a comeback! Yay! And the J. Artichokes appear to be a big favorite with the groundhogs around here. They are laying all over the ground - partially eaten, with those big "munch marks" all over them. But there are still plenty for everyone. I'm having not-so-pleasant images of the tiny bits that they are gnawing sprouting up all over the place.

It's about time to wander down by the creek. Lots and lots of mud down there. In another month we'll be able to see if all the natives we transplanted last year made it. VA Bluebells, Trillium, Wild Ginger, Dutchman's Breeches.... I can't wait!

No comments: