Monday, August 01, 2005

Am I Jaded?

This weekend was a little "off". There were a couple events that I was looking forward to that just didn't hit the mark.
The first one was a local arts and crafts festival that is in it's 59th year. I haven't been able to make it for the last 15 years - the first 10 because of our own shop hours, the last five because of work, etc. So I was excited to go. There were always really fanciful pieces, cutting edge crafts, new and exciting ideas. In the past I'd purchased stained glass, pottery, wearable art, and unique jewelry. This time it was not the same.
There were only about 1/4 as many vendors. There was nothing exciting, nothing I couldn't live without. I bought a leather bag, but it isn't unusual...just sturdy and handmade. There were a couple potters with great stuff. One used glazes that were gorgeous, and another pressed leaves into the pieces - very Autumnal. Some of the clothing was interesting, but nobody was taking any risks. I think that was what I felt the most - no risks.
Next came Shakespeare in the Park. It was Love's Labor Lost, and Theatre of the Seventh Sister was putting it on - for free, I might add. They did a great job, and I enjoyed what I could follow. But the park was a bad setting. That play is hard enough to follow without people riding between rows on bicycles, chasing frisbees, walking dogs, and talking on cellphones next to you. Once it got dark it was easier to concentrate, but it was too late. The performers were fighting a losing battle.
On the plus side, I got to finish Harry Potter. I'm not going to ruin it for anyone, but I'm stunned. It can't be true!!! Can't wait for the next book to come out.
Reading Potter made me think about how much I've missed reading fiction lately. Mostly I read fieldguides, herbal tomes, and reference books. So I finally started a book that a friend sent me months ago - Wicked - The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. Wow! Its hard to put this one down. I've been listening to the music from the Broadway show for a while now, and reading the book just makes the music better.
It's time to start putting the next issue of the magazine together. Well, actually it's almost done except for the formatting and adding pictures. Having that book waiting will make it go fast :-).

1 comment:

Laura said...

I love this post, because I've been wondering the same thing - about myself. It's funny how life can test us. BUT... like you discovered... magic can be found anywhere. And I believe it's waiting for us to tap into it. I guess I'm not so jaded! Ha! :)