Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Where are the butterflies?

The other day I went on a butterfly hunt.  Now there was this one lovely black swallowtail...several times he visited the scarlet bee balm, and managed to stay behind the bronze fennel while I waited patiently.  But he flew away.  Eventually he returned, but it was only a tease.  Never did get to take that picture.  There were scads of the tiny white flutterbyes.  At one point, walking across a pebbly area with my nephew, I didn't notice that there were literally hundreds of them resting or drinking on the ground.  As we approached the entire colony took flight, flitting around us.  It was breathtaking.  Here are a few that held their ground....
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
On one of the butterfly bushes, there was this one orange and brown butterfly amidst all the little white ones.  Not a great picture, but they move around a lot, and I'm still learning :-).
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
It seems that there should be a lot more butterflies out there this time of year.  Guess I'll keep looking.

No comments: